The Police
Message Type Icon

Nuisance / Stolen and Illegal use of motorcycles

NUISANCE/STOLEN and ILLEGAL USE OF MOTORCYCLES (following applies to all motor vehicles) 

Humberside Police are investigating reports of persons causing a nuisance with stolen or illegal use of motorcycles in Hull this is part of our OPERATION YELLOWFIN .

If you have recently seen anyone using motorcycles causing a nuisance in the area we would like to encourage you to contact the police on the non-emergency telephone number 101 or alternatively call CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111. Please rest assure that the information you provide will be used as intelligence and you will remain anonymous at all times.

Remember to keep your own property secure to reduce the opportunity for any such behaviour. Whenever possible lock your own motorcycles in a secure premise even if you are in the house.  Please be reminded to lock your vehicle with suitable security equipment and keep any security gates, garages and sheds closed and locked at all times. 

Illegal use of a vehicle causing a nuisance is something that effects the whole community not just individuals’ and can be dealt with by way of a warning/seizure under Section 59 Police Reform Act 2002 or seized for no insurance under Section 165 of Road Traffic Act 1988.

Section 59 Police Reform Act 2002 – Inconsiderate use of a motor vehicle and manner of driving 

  • Driving in a careless or inconsiderate manner contrary to section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988
  • Driving on common land, moorland, land which is not part of a road, a footpath, bridleway, restricted byway contrary to Section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988
  • Some examples of such are as follows:

  • Persons and motorbikes using fields, open spaces, schools, building sites and businesses to conduct nuisance and illegal activity.
  • Intimidation and bullying causing harassment, alarm and distress with the use of motorcycles
  • Continuous revving of vehicles causing a noise nuisance or illegal activity on a pubic highway.
  • Section 165 of Road Traffic Act 1988  Vehicle will be seized for no insurance

     Without there being a valid certificate of insurance in force in respect to third party risks

  • Otherwise than in accordance with a valid driving licence
  • If you have failed to produce immediately a certificate of insurance and/or driving licence the vehicle will be seized by police and will be removed to an address/location indicated to you at the time. 

    Other powers which may be considered include -

    Section 1 (1) of the Theft Act 1968  Theft of Motor Vehicles 

  • Vehicle seized and recovered
  • Driver/rider arrested (theft or handling offences)
  • If in doubt what is nuisance use of a vehicle please call 101 with the information you have and it will be assessed accordingly or 300300 and report to the Neighbourhood Nuisance Team. Alternatively you may call 999 in the case of an emergency. 

    Help us to help you

    Humberside Police

    (Local Ward Policing Team)



    Reply to this message
    Message Sent By
    Eleanor Hutchinson
    (Humberside Police, PC, Grimsby East)

    Neighbourhood Alert Cyber Essentials